Monday, June 25, 2007

I didn't sleep at all last night

Or many other nights this week. I don't know why really. I just never seem to get around to it. I'm not so tired. You would think I'd be more tired. But I keep finding things to do. Not the things I should be doing, like house-cleaning. But other things for sure... I've knitted a lot of coasters, sent a lot of e-mails, watched some really bad TV. A couple of actual ink and pen letters... and on book!
So I was coming back from my Sunday knitting group with Isabel when we spotted a table on the side of the road marked Free Books. And it was covered in books. Being Bibliophiles, we stopped. Good books, Advance Reader copies, which means stilll in need of editing and pre-srelease. I found a lovely book called " Never Hit A Jellyfish With A Spade". I'm nearly through it and I can't stop laughing. I also have "HOw I Became Stupid" - one man's journey to renounce his own intelligence in an attempt to see if ignorance really is bliss. I'm curious.
I met Jodi, who I really like. Makes sense, she's an AutoCAD designer and god knows I know computer nerds. She seems like fun though, and I hope to get to know her bettter. It feels good to make a new friend. I think that might be what I needed. Oh, and BIG NEWS, I found Jessie! Sarah is gonna be so excited when I tell her tonight.
I've finished my coasters for the coaster swap and a few extras to send out to other peole. I think they're neat. And super easy.
I've also discovered a number of new websites... Couchsurfing Project - in which you loan/ boroow an unocccupied couch while passing through a city. There's already high demand for my couch. Amazingly, most people in New Orleans are not willing to open their homes like they're not willing to volunteer. Big shock, huh? I'm sorry, but I've spent enough time on other people's couches and invited enough people to stay on mine that I feel that this is only an extension. It's goodwill through big velvet couches. And like I always say, you're never going to make new friends if you don't talk to strangers. We all know I talk to strangers constantly.
As well as Warm The World, a charity for "children without families" and soldiers and their families. The neat thing about this charity is all you have to supply is the knitting. They pay for shipping and even send you yarn to do projects. Most recently, I discovered bookcrossings.com, where people leave marked books places in hopes that someone else will pick them up and read them. Fascinating... again, not popular here in New Orleans. Selfish bastards.
Y'all know me, generous and involved. I know it's uncommon in the godforsaken stagnant pool I find myself in now, but I am me and I refuse to be an asshole just because I'm surrounded by them. Personally, I found a family rebuilding their own house around the corner, and I'm going to bring them drinks next time I see them. I'm poor today.
My camera battery is dead, dead, dead. And I have no money to replace it. And I've discovered that I get some kind of bizarre delay when trying to write in the post editor on this site, so from now on, I'm typing them when my computer goes down and only pasting them into the editor from plain text.
I cancelled the phone and the cable today... replaced by Vonage and Blockbuster online. I save $60/month and a lot of nagging myself about how I'm going to pay for it and why I'm paying for things I don't need/can't afford.
I'm on a hunt for old friends and new ones. And I have an interview for a second job tomorrow morning. If it works, I will be babysitting seniors overnight. Yep, that's right, I sit in the house in case they need anything, or get up, and I can knit and work on my German and I get paid. It doesn't pay a lot, but I just need a little extra to get through the summer months. And it's almost like charity work. I don't mind old people, I'm related to a couple. Speaking of which, my new friend Jodi goes to Tennessee every couple of months and the next time she does it, I'm going to go with her and surprise my Aunt Flo. Perhaps I shouldn't send this package to her, just hold onto it and give it to her when I go? I think so. She'll be very surprised.
The One Brick folks are coming out again at the end of the month and I'm gonna look for a ride again, maybe someone to crash on the couch again. Right now, my priority is to get enough spare dough to fly to Melissa's in August, work on this kid's scarf project and knit a cookie monster sweater for a munchkin. I think that I can use the teal mohair for Sarah's kid and still have enough of the fur to use the baby blue for Karissa's kid. I may not have Sarah's done in time for the end of winter in her neck of the woods, though. It's winter there now. But Karissa's in Nevada and she doesn't need a sweater anytime soon. I know that as soon as I finish this, I will think of something fascinating to say, like, oh, I don't know, I just rented the entire Red Dwarf series from Blockbuster. If you've never seen Red Dwarf, you're missing out. It's British slapstick sci-fi at it's best. I adore it. My ex-boyfriend Kent got me hooked on it way back when in high school watching marathons and telethons on public television. Well, the publis television stations everywhere else in the country apparently don't know about it, but I do and I'm renting it and loaning it to Jodi because she's gonna fucking love it. Why is it that I can't gather people to save my life but I always know exactly what they'd like for gifts or meals?? I can never tell if they'll get along with eachother. A lot of times I think it's because I like strong, individual and unusual people and those people either love or hate eachother. Somehow everyone seems to respect that I have friends they don't like, they just won't come to my parties because they might be there. I also can't get many people to come to my house. I think that might have something to do with the fact that deep down I am a private person and a poor housekeeper. I'm working on the housekeeping. And I know lots of other people who can get people to come to their houses and they're much worse housekeepers than me. At least nothing in my house is moldy or smells... it's just disorganized and cluttered.
That's all for today. I have to change over the laundry, take out the trash and paint my toenails. Before I work on MORE housework.... god, I hate housework.