Monday, May 28, 2007

My yarn! Not yours, yours is over there! These are mine! Go play with your own...

Okay, so it took me a day... the computer's slow. And it has an uncomfortable interface for downloading photos from my camera. But, here they are, direct from me to you, because I can't seem to make this thing Actually Display the pictures like I want..Knitting Photos!!
Notes: The basketweave purse, I've decided, will become a purse/hat because it turns out to make a great hat like it is. All I have to do is cover the knots so that it's reversible, attach some very small buttons for straps, knit the straps and VOILA! all one has to do is remove the straps from their handy buttons, put it one's head, fold a cuff to conceal the buttons and they have a convenient hat. Alternate place to store the stuff you had in the purse is not available however.
You cannot see the cable pattern on the cat sweater in this picture, but it is there, I swear. It is a nifty sentimental little cable pattern called Hugs and Kisses. Oh, and the sweater is not for poor Gibson, as pictured, he was just the only cat mellow enough to model it. And I'm very glad he did, else I would not have known that it needed a collar... in earlier versions it became a kitty tube top. The sweater is actually for my sister's cat Jack. When I offered to make a catbed for her cats, as I've made them for mine and Mom's, she turned me down and asked for a sweater instead.
The slippers just fucking rock. I'm making a pair for my son and taking them when I go to see him this weekend (YIPPEE!!!). This pattern is from Michael's and they have cats and dogs and I think even rabbits, which I conveniently ammended to tigers because I had two skeins and only two skeins of tiger looking chenille my mother gave me. Why she gave me tiger looking chenille I have no idea.
The star pattern will become a lap blanket for charity. I don't think I have the stitch quite as the pattern intended, but I like it. MAybe you can see it, maybe you can't, but the blue is kind of purply and glittery. The pattern is for a "treasure pillow" but that's pretty fricking useless, isn't it? So I started knitting it and I kept thinking of snowglobes and little old men in wheelchairs wearing hospital gowns and how cold and exposed they must feel. Don't ask me why, I can't explain it. So I've decided to make it into a lap blanket.. just something small to cover from where the hospital gown ends to where it's possible to look up the hospital gown from a chair across the room. A little modesty and warmth but not something that will interfere with wheelchair wheels. I know, where did I come up with this? I don't know. But it is a nice pattern.

Next, I'm working on a lace scarf, which will be in the next round of pictures. That's for my 87-year old grandma in Southern California. She doesn't need a scarf there, which is why it's lace. It's not really for warmth, just to do something nice for grandma. Then I've got another scarf planned for the other 87-year old woman in the family. And the alpaca sweater I will never finish because it's on really thin yarn and really small needles and I just don't think I have it in me. And I found this pattern which is cute and simple, right? And good for my friend's kids, but as I started thinking about what to knit it in and who to knit it for, I looked around and spotted this teal fake mohair that's completely washable.... and remembered I have a pile of blue and purple eyelash in the cubby for some monster slippers....Do you see where this is going? I only have 4 balls of the teal mohair and it's from my dead grandmother's stash, likely before I was born...can't get more. But for a small child... THE ULTIMATE COOKIE MONSTER SWEATER!!! All I have to do now is knit it and convince someone to put it on their child. That's the part I think will be hard. I'll start work on it now... the convincing part, not the knitting. I need to finish some other stuff and who needs a hoodie in June?? According to my calculations, I have just enough yarn to make it for Karissa's kid. Provided her staunchly Catholic mexican husband does not veto making their daughter look like the cookie monster. Either that or someone else is going to have to have a kid. And then I want to figure out how to do that row of spikes like for alligators or dinosaurs... I think it's easy, but all the patterns I can find want money and we all know I don't have any. That's the plan. Also, find some small projects for charity. Mind you, this is not a short-term plan... this is a probably rest of the year plan...
Excuse me, my cell is beeping angrily and my laundry will not wash itself...