Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Amazing Spanish Houseguest Lottery Winnings

I won the houseguest lottery. In my trusting and open nature, I invited a man I'd never met before to stay on my couch, sight unseen. I like strangers. Sometimes they become friends. Sometimes there just interesting landmarks in life. Occasionally, they suck. This is the lottery of life, and just like the state lottery, you can't win if you don't play. So this man arrives, tired, confused, and stashed in the production office by my well-meaning friends at the front door. I am immediately happy with my decision.
The poor guy was stuck in there like some sort of criminal... here he's been wandering around all day with the biggest backpack imaginable, and his english is not very good and their accents aren't helping... I took him straight home. He wouldn't let me pay for the cab.
We sat up talking, in Spanish, until 5 am. Encantada a encontrarte does not even begin to cover it. It is the first time in a long time that I can say enchanted is the perfect word. And he comes with a two-day expiration date, which is when he leaves for San Antonio. We all know I love men with expiration dates. Absolutely adorable... blue eyes, short blondish hair, great big arm muscles with sexy little tattoo. I've never been so inclined to send a thank you note to my Spanish teacher. And fascinating and lively and so interesting. I loved talking to him. I wish my Spanish was better. And you know what? In the morning, after a little small talk, he went off on his own. He had places to go and things to see. It was great. The second night, we went out to the F and M and were dancing a little and drinking a little and had a great time. I was so happy, all day, that I was going to get off work and he was coming home with me. That it was already guaranteed, he was coming home with me. I wanted to take him to Tipitina's, but they didn't have a show. Asi es la vida, no? I want to know why spell check recognizes some of the spanish words that are not cognates and not others.
I realize, now that he's gone and I'm depressed for his absence, that I need more people like that in my life. Now I just have to find out where I can find them. They have to be somewhere. It's not just that he was so damn good-looking... it's also that he was so... I guess the best word is engaging. I genuinely enjoyed his presence. Pero ahora, que voy a hacer? I'm still thinking in Spanish.
But I think I found a German tutor!! Yippee!! Apparently, Jodi's roommate, the geeky, ugly, lazy, cheap pain-in-her-ass, is FROM Germany. Didn't move here until puberty and still has close family there. She thinks he'll definitely be willing to help me learn in exchange for cookies. And, better yet, he doesn't speak Spanish so he'll notice when I subconsciously insert the Spanish word for the German one I don't know. Of course, I may not be here much longer. I've grown tired of waiting. It looks like Emi isn't coming in November after all. So I've put in an application with a west coast cruise line. Six weeks on, 2-3 weeks off. I can definitely handle that. They do Alaska cruises as well as Japan, Vietnam, Panama, Mexico and the South Pacific. And of course, by maritime law, they provide health insurance and housing. Well, housing on the boat... off the boat is your own responsibility, which is why they pay so well. I've also asked for a substantial raise. Here's hoping they call.
At this rate, I can't afford to go to Wisconsin next month. I can't afford to go to Mexico in November and I'm tired of it. It's time to give myself a promotion by changing the field. And there's no use waiting around for some magical money tree to shake loose. I'm not happy here and if it only takes 6 weeks in Alaska on a boat to make enough money to leave this place, I'm there. Meanwhile, I may have to pursue other avenues of entertainment and try harder to import boys as the locals are largely uninteresting and uninterested. The skirt seemed to help though. Maybe more skirts?? I dunno. I'm tired of this bullshit. I'm so used to being relentlessly pursued, and I'm seeing a foreboding trend amongst my female friends... they're all single and growing desparate... this cannot be tolerated.
I refuse to beg for attention. I should be the center of the universe. Period. It shouldn't have to be requested, demanded, or enforced, it should just be granted. When I'm in the room, the fucking sun, the galaxy, everything revolves around me. That is how it is. If I'm not in the room, whatever. I don't care. Don't pick up anything and bring it home to me; otherwise, I don't care. But I will not vie for attention, I will not work for it. I might dress for it, but I won't ask and I won't insist and I'll be damned if I'll beg. It is their job to beg for MY attention, and I won't reverse that pecking order for anyone. It is imperative that it remains. I will gladly leave town, but I will not lower these standards. Not negotiable. Can you tell that part of my brain is still translating to Spanish? I can. It's kind of like a lag time.... between the brain and the mouth. Doesn't help that my internet connection just crapped out, possibly for the night. It's refusing to behave, despite several dirty looks.
What's a girl to do? I have two options: 1) Stay broke and keep trying to import interesting men or 2) leave town and have more money and possibly, but not definitely, have better men.
But I haven't had this bad a dry spell since I left Seattle... where I couldn't get laid to save my life... largely because I didn't have the patience after a while to sit and talk. They all honestly wanted to get to know me better and I wanted something else and then maybe I'll let you talk after.... I told one guy flat out, "I did not wear this skirt to show off my personality." He was offended. I don't know how. I was disappointed and offended, disheartened and insulted. Overall, depressing. That was a long time ago and I'd like to forget it, not re-live it, thanks so much. Definitely need a change. I can go or they can come, but it's easier for me to go. I can control that a lot better.
Shit, it's 5 am. Good night.